The Rowe Tribe

The Rowe Tribe
2012

Friday, July 1, 2011

Dear Tara

Dear Tara,
I'm so glad you're my sister; every girl should have one.  I'm thrilled my girls do.  I'm so happy I had more than just the obligatory boy and girl so that my girls can experience this.  I'm guessing there are times in every siblings' life when they wish they were an only child, but I'm sure that "only" children wish for siblings more.  You are a treasure to me and I am always amazed by your compassion and sense of duty.  No one is ever a mistake; all of us are wanted by God and created in His image; even my 2 perfect little boys in heaven were desired by Him to be created and be.  You are no exception, a beautiful gift to the family I grew up in.
I'm so glad you came to visit us here in our new but temporary home.  We extended the invitation to anyone and you were the only one to take us up on that.  I'm glad you brought Kate, one of my 8 nieces, since she is just about the same age as Sarah Kelly.  It was really cute with all of you in the "girl's row" in the back of the Benz.  That tickled me.  I hope it wasn't too bouncy back there around all those curves we traveled on Highway 1, going up the CA coast.
 I'm so glad you were willing for anything, especially all of our adventures.  Whew!  Did we really pack in all that in just a long weekend?  Maybe we "ran" you too much. 
 At least we made it to the beach and the Pacific.  I know it was so much fun for the kids.
 And we were really fooling ourselves that they would not get wet.  Ha!  We should have just put them in the bathing suits and not worried that it was only in the 70s. Jeff did a pretty good job of getting them cleaned up though, didn't he?
 I hope you got some good pictures and I'll email you some more of the Golden Gate Bridge since it was hazy and you couldn't see it so well.  I'm glad Jeff drove you home that way after picking you up at the airport and you both got to see it well and drive over it then.
 I'm sorry Miss Jules didn't get to come but it sounds like she had a lot of fun in NC having one-on-one grandparent time.  That is so fun and important.  But the 3 girls here certainly didn't lack for anything together; they were all smiles every day, that is until you left and Sarah Kelly cried that morning.

 You have such good ideas; I really like the one about taking a picture of everyone's toes in the water, first without it and then as it rushes in although I think I have the pictures in the wrong order. 


 And you pointed out as well that this was Miss Ellis's first time (well other than last week) to see the beach and the Pacific Ocean at that.  Here we have been to Charleston 4 times in her short life and she had yet to see the Atlantic or visit the beach.  She has to go all the way to California to see the ocean.
 I don't know how well she liked her Daddy's idea of dipping her feet into this cold cold water, though.  And, there is still some sand and dirt under those tiny toenails too.
 I'm sorry the weather was so deplorable.  I mean, who thinks it's going to be in the 60s in CA in June, 20 degrees below normal?  And the rain, I mean, there has been no measureable rain in June here in the Bay area in over 13 years and we get 1 inch in 1 day!  But you were a good sport, attempting to shop in it.  I know that was no hardship for you!  I somehow missed getting the shopping gene.
 We braved the lower than normal temps to have a cookout and eat outside
 but it was chilly so I'm glad now, we didn't opt for the outdoor movie.  That really would have been cold.  But I also know you're not much of a movie person and would rather read a book, which you did, a whole entire book while you were here.  I picked it up after you left and read it myself the following week; it was an intriguing story.
Going to the city was fun.  Now the shopping in Chinatown I do have to say I enjoyed.  I went back the following week; you wouldn't believe the antique/furniture store that I found.  If Jeff had not been with me, there's no telling what I might have shipped back to SC.   Maybe I do like some shopping after all.  Remind me to show you the picture of the 4 ft. bronze lions I wanted that were on sale there.  They were awesome and would look so good at the bottom of our road when we put our gate in; that is until someone stole them, if they could lift them.  As it is I am sending back 3 (small) pieces of furniture and gifts on the boat that will return via truck.  What a great place to find some interesting things. We'll probably make another trip there soon since it's only 45 minutes away.  But I think our excursion with you to Pier 39 will be the only one.  We did have a good meal there though.
I do hope you had a good time, despite the weather and I miss you.  Of course the day you left, the very day, the temperatures jumped back up into the 80s and have been that way, hot and dry ever since.  That's life isn't it?  I'm glad you made it back safely and we'll see you in NC sometime this summer.  Don't eat too many of those belly flop jelly beans you bought at the factory here when we went on the tour, or you'll have to go on a weight loss program with me, not that you would ever need to!
Thanks again so much for coming to see us.  I know the time change to the east was hard and it means a lot you took the time and effort for the trip. 
Love you always,
Kel/Aunt KK

No comments:

Post a Comment