The Rowe Tribe

The Rowe Tribe
2012

Friday, July 1, 2011

Santa Fe Trail


Lodging in New Mexico. Jeff earns points in Holiday Inn Express as he travels so we have been so grateful for lodging for "free" with a hot breakfast the next morning. I am so interested in history and always have been. Tuesday night as we were coming into New Mexico (in the dark) I began to see signs for the Santa Fe Trail, a National Scenic By-way. I had not realized that not only would we be close to the Trail but that we would actually cross over the Cimmaron Cut-off and travel along the trail itself. The cut-off was the choice for settlers going into New Mexico from Colorado. It was faster but more desert-like with very little water. Most took this route. We actually crossed right over the trail ruts and I didn't even know it until later. I'm sure if I had I would have asked my sweet husband to pull over and I would have been out looking for them with a flashlight. I'm sure he would have done this. When we reached the hotel in Raton, NM we were on the trail or it ran right beside the interstate. As we walked in under a clear starry night I wondered what it must have been like to travel such a distance over 62 days sleeping each night under that same beautiful sky. What a perilous fearful but wonderous adventure it must have been. How many mothers before me tucked their precious children in under that sky as I did that night as well in New Mexico. Thank you Lord for a safe place to stay and a beautiful night.

No comments:

Post a Comment