The Rowe Tribe

The Rowe Tribe
2012

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Talking about the Walk and the Rosary Beads





I've tried a couple of routes for walking and exercise lately but this one is my favorite. The Mt. Diablo state park entrance is about 1 mile away so if Igo to the gate and back I can walk/run 2 miles each day, that is if I motivate myself to do it. Today as I was walking and getting quite hot, we finally have had nice temperatures and sun for the past 3 days, I thought a lot about why I haven't walked each and every day.

It's so easy to put things off isn't it? You can always find some excuse for not doing something. Lately, my excuses if I actually pull them out and think about them have been things such as these: it's too cold; I'm too tired; is it safe?; we need to do....; should I really leave them all here by themselves?; I'd rather walk or sit in the garden; and on and on. I could probably think of some more if I tried. It's not as if I don't enjoy it. I do so love to exercise and especially here; the view is incredible, beautiful, and the weather so pretty (most days), that there's not any great reason not to. I'm doing it for stamina, more energy, and because it's good for my body. And a nice side benefit would be to lose about 10-15 pounds, pounds that have crept up on me as a result of having been pregnant at least part of every year since 2003. So this morning, I didn't think about any excuses, I just drug myself out the door into the sunshine, told Tio I was leaving (he and Scott were trimming the knot garden) and I headed out. And of course, it was enjoyable.

On the way back just as I was passing some beautiful scenery and looking excitedly towards the house hoping to see flowers along the road and the gate soon, it dawned on me. Like exercise, we can always find excuses to not do something which has great benefit, such as spend time with the Lord. It was as if God spoke clear from heaven down to me, the only person on the road, straight into my soul. You see, my child, don't give up or give in. It's always worth it.

My walking and exercise habits are not interesting to you or me. But this is the lesson that is worth noting. Don't give up on something important. And what is most important? God. Don't give up on our time with Him. How easy is it for us to say, I'm too tired; I have too much to do; I can't leave the children alone; and on and on. You can easily think of reasons not to spend some time each day reading and meditating. What about other things that are important? A person you'd like to give up on; a job you'd like to give up? With God, it is always worth it and He will renew your soul and bless you in the process.

Recently Patty gave me some rosary beads. We had actually found them in the couch cushions and tried to return them. I had all kinds of questions which I felt comfortable asking her. I'm sure you can imagine them. (If you're one of my Catholic friends, please stop laughing now.) She answered all of my questions and explained the whole reason behind the beads. What is interesting is that I, albeit not Catholic, do the same things when I pray as she does every morning with her beads.

Protestants come up with neat little acronyms for it, such as ACTS (Adoration, Confession, Thankfulness, Supplication, sound familiar?). Sometimes I repeat scriptures, recite the Lord's prayer (Jeff is working on that right now with the little ones), or recite verses. My biggest problem is that I fidget (called ADD); fall asleep (now how do you think the Lord likes that?); and forget where I am in my prayers sometimes. Now that I have these beads, I have decided this is a handy little device for me to remember where I am and what I want to say to the Lord. I can keep my place, basically. Having something to hold onto keeps me more focused. I also don't fall asleep as easily when being so still listening to the Lord. Now, God definitely speaks to my soul and I to Him when I'm zooming fast through my day, but when I have that quiet "closet" time, I wait to hear Him speak then as well.

I'm thrilled with the beads so don't laugh if you see me with them. And I cannot wait until tomorrow morning to talk to God as I walk and hopefully all day, "walk the talk". It is so definitely worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment